Training in the techniques of Mouth Care Without a Battle© is meant for nursing homes, assisted living communities, home health agencies, family members, and health professionals who care for people with cognitive and physical impairment. The educational DVD Mouth Care Without a Battle© contains separate educational modules on:
- Mouth care basics
- Providing mouth care for people who are resistive or agitated
- The critical role of licensed nurses in oral hygiene care
- Advocacy and administrative support for quality mouth care
Because developing a sustainable, quality mouth care program within a long-term care facility or program requires a core of trained, experienced staff, we offer a variety of more intensive training options. These include:
- Half-Day Group Training. This training includes a “starter kit” of mouth care supplies, seminar and hands-on training for up to 15 people in proper mouth care technique; and an interactive session on overcoming resistive behaviors in persons with dementia.
- Full day intensive training. This training include a one hour overview and key concepts, 2.5 hours of intensive training in evidence-based mouth care techniques, 2.5 hours of training in the management of challenging behaviors that can arise during mouth care, an hour with facility leaders on program roll-out and sustainability, and a starter kit of mouth care supplies.
- Technical Assistance at Implementing a Facility-Wide Mouth Care Program. This training includes a full day of intensive training (described above) plus three days of on-site training in which one or more experienced trainers works with facility staff to hone skills and overcome behavioral challenges, plus telephone and email access to trainers for problem-solving over 3 months.
- Tailored training by Special Arrangement. Facilities or groups of facilities may want to work with us to design their own training.
For information on one of the above training programs, contact us by email or by calling (919) 966-7173.